Yeah, I'm aware of how I can work around the issue.

I'm posting more because I think that practically and theoretically,
makeRequest parameter naming restrictions should conform to the OAuth
spec and RFC3986.  Indeed, the 0.8 specification indicates that very
few parameter names are in fact restricted (from
http://code.google.com/apis/opensocial/docs/0.8/reference/gadgets/#gadgets.io.makeRequest):

  # Removing any request parameters with names that begin with oauth,
xoauth, or opensocial (case insensitive).

That's the only restriction, and it's for security purposes;
everything else that is RFC3986 compliant should be allowed. So, the
Shindig "ALLOWED_PARAM_NAME" regex that Arne points to in the bug is
really completely unnecessary and even problematic, as it restricts
parameter names that ought to be valid.