Does Orkut OAuth work with proxies ?

I am facing an interesting problem here. I am using a hosting space
provider and OAuth requests from my server are failing with the
following response

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>OAuth Authentication Failurenull</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY BGCOLOR="#FFFFFF" TEXT="#000000">
<H1>OAuth Authentication Failurenull</H1>
<H2>Error 401</H2>
</BODY>
</HTML>

The requests are working if I use my local system to make requests.
The application used for testing was opensocial-php-rest client
listFriends sample app. The only reason I can think of this happening
is that the server is using proxying of some kind and OAuth fails
because of that (although if correctly implemented it should be
transparent).

Please let me know what you think could be the issue here.

Thanks for your help !!

-- Anshu