I'm trying to create external links in the profile view of my app. For
that purpose, I'm using the target attribute in links,
eg:

Orkut</a>

However, when I open the profile page in sandbox, the target attribute
gets stripped and the site opens within the application container.

I think the links should, by default, open up in a new window.
Earlier, links used to open up in a new window. Orkut can, however,
warn the user that they are getting linked to somewhere outside Orkut
and tell them the URL so that the user can decide to go/not go.