We apologize for the earlier incorrect communication sent regarding
signing up for a sandbox. It is required to sign up for sandbox.
  A non fixed bug is blocking sign ups and will be fixed in the next
few days. The bug fix will resolve this issue and allow future sign
ups for sandbox.

  Regards,
  Athira