I think you are getting the error, because you didnt define a return-data
key for your update, see:

function saveData(key, value)
{
var req = opensocial.newDataRequest();
req.add(req.newUpdatePersonAppDataRequest("VIEWER", key, value),"setdata");
req.send(callbackData);
}

function callbackData(data)
{
if (data.get("setdata").hadError())
{
alert("couldnt save data");
}
}

Try in this way and let me know how it goes.

Regards

Robson Dantas