This tutorial available on wiki.opensocial.org shows a way to store things
on the persistent database available through the API and then reading:
http://wiki.opensocial.org/index.php?title=OpenSocial_Tutorial

<http://wiki.opensocial.org/index.php?title=OpenSocial_Tutorial>With minor
modifications, you can use gadgets.io.makeRequest to request data from your
server, which you can output using xml or json, and using javascript you can
create your picklist.

I wrote an example sometime ago, which POST data to the server, and then
print some <li> values on screen. Some words are in portuguese, will try to
translate it, but for a kickoff is a great asset:
http://www.opensocial-br.org/exemplo/opensocialbr.xml

<http://www.opensocial-br.org/exemplo/opensocialbr.xml>Let me know if you
have any doubt.

Robson Dantas