Tiago,

Correct me if I am wrong, but in IE the only way to set standards mode
is using DOCTYPE.

In IE8, you can use <meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible"
content="IE=8">, but in older versions, you can't. Is there any other
way?

So I can support my IE8 users without DOCTYPE, but I won't be able to
support IE7 users (in quirks mode, my application just renders
completely wrong), even though its usage (IE7) is decreasing.

Is this something known for you?