Max,

yes, bruno stated in some other emails on this list that the docs are a
little outdatted.
here you have a resume of the new submission proccess:
http://code.google.com/intl/es-419/apis/orkut/forum.html?place=topic%2Fopensocial-orkut%2F5NKAtwwyY0c%2Fdiscussion

<http://code.google.com/intl/es-419/apis/orkut/forum.html?place=topic%2Fopensocial-orkut%2F5NKAtwwyY0c%2Fdiscussion>you
should avoid 2LO and REST (some things could, some other things not).
AFAIK, the recomended ways to go are 3LO + RPC endpoint (you have many
client libraries for orkut); or a complete javascript implementation.

correct me if I am wrong!

good luck!

Roberto Scattini