Hi developers,
*
We are constantly working to make OpenSocial code development easier. One of
the things we were missing was a live code playground with Orkut-specific
snippets and samples. So I'd like to announce* *our new OpenSocial code
playground app,
*OrkutDevBox<http://www.orkut.com/Application?appId=876096229684>
*, launching today. More information below.

*
*

<http://www.orkut.com/Main#Application?appId=876096229684>
*What is *OrkutDevBox*?*
OrkutDevBox is an OpenSocial code playground for Orkut. It allows developers
to write and test OpenSocial snippets "on the fly" to experiment with
Orkut's API without having to go through the edit-upload-test cycle. Main
highlights:

   - run code with one click
   - runs code against the live Orkut environment: prod, prod-sandbox and
   sandbox
   - console to output debug messages
   - supports on-the-fly creation of HTML interfaces
   - code samples for most important Orkut features available with 1 click
      - (total of 15 Orkut samples integrated into app)
   - often-used OpenSocial code snippets can be picked from a list and
   directly inserted into code

*What Samples are available?
*
The following samples are available in the application:

   1. Show Viewer and Owner Names
   2. Show Viewer Info
   3. List 20 Friends
   4. List 20 Friends with Pictures
   5. List All Friends
   6. AppData Load and Save
   7. Posting an Activity
   8. Posting an Activity with Modal Notification
   9. Send Private Message
   10. Requesting Data From Remote Servers
   11. Listing Albums
   12. Creating Album
   13. Update Albums
   14. Mosaic with All Photos
   15. Handling Errors

*Didn't we already have a code playground (OpenSocial DevApp)?*
Yes. But OrkutDevBox is developed by the Orkut team and is focused on Orkut
and comes with Orkut-specific features and sample code. Also, it has some
unique features such as the ability to insert often-used OpenSocial snippets
from a "snippets pallete", and, apart from Javascript, it can also "run"
HTML UIs created on the fly.
*
*
*Do I have to be on Sandbox to use OrkutDevBox?*
OrkutDevBox works in production, prod sandbox and sandbox, so you can test
your code against any of those environments.

*How do I install it?*
You can install
OrkutDevBox<http://www.orkut.com/Application?appId=876096229684>like any other
orkut app.
*
*
*Does it save my code?
*
No, it does not. It is intended to be used to write quick experimental
snippets, not to write full applications, but you can of course copy and
paste your code and save elsewhere.

We hope you like this app. Feel free to send any feedback!

Thank you!

-
Bruno Oliveira (Google)