yes rapahel, you will be able to make ajax calls to your server with
"standard AJAX".
BUT you will face problems with cross domain requests, and PREFLIGHT OPTIONS
requests. it is similar to what happens with flash requests and
crossdomain.xml

here you have a bunch of information:
https://developer.mozilla.org/en/http_access_control

your server (or php) will have to add some headers to reply the OPTIONS
request.

in the other hand, the makerequest also adds the opensocial data (including
validation).

a week ago i had to decide about this, and i stayed with makerequest.

hope it helps.

--
Roberto Scattini