> Since the top-level goal is familiarity, and code
> sharing is a
> lower level goal, behind making OpenSolaris a
> well-working system,
> would this case be better served by making the
> logrotate administrative
> interfaces (which may be just vi /etc/logrotate.conf)
> work to control
> the existing logadm system to prevent conflicts
> between the two?

The only way I can think of that a config file can "control"
anything is to add a prominent comment (I checked, comments
are supported) warning of the possibly conflicting tool.

However, logadm, being a command, could hypothetically
be smartened up enough to either check for conflicts, or
incorporate logrotate's config into its own (if it has a superset
of the configuration functionality), or both; or at least if it is
being used interactively, write a warning to stderr of the possibility
of conflict.