> Speaking of "squashing", there have been multiple
> attempts to publicly
> expose these
> symbols.  The rationale is that third party libraries
> could use the same
> trick - by
> binding to _read() rather than read().  That "trick"
> has merit, but I
> don't think it ever
> happened.
>
> (Bart, I think you were a proponent of this.
>  Comments?)

Is there a legitimate way for 3rd party libs (esp. shared, but static too)
to achieve the same effect, i.e. would it work for them to use direct
binding (or is there some other existing solution)?

I guess I'm trying to say that documenting the right way to do
something may be the best way to reduce future bad behavior,
and that even if it needn't be done as part of a change such as this,
there's still an opportunity here to think about it.