Joseph Kowalski writes:
> John Plocher wrote:
> > Joseph Kowalski wrote:
> >> Sorry, I want a fast-track.
> >
> > What are the architectural (as opposed to C-Team, Design or RE) issues?
> >>
> >> 1)   I believe this is an incomplete project.
> >
> > This sounds to me like "go boil the ocean" scope creep.
>
> Sometimes the burners need to be turned on.

A less dramatic (but just as effective) answer would be to work out
the details of a new Big Rule: "as only 64-bit kernels are supported,
all new utilities should be compiled as 64-bit objects on SPARC;
existing utilities should be transitioned when practical."

That leaves this project team room to avoid cranking up a stove for
the existing Makefiles, but still sets the long-term direction to fix
the original problem.  (And, yes, there are probably exceptions for
open source code that doesn't work right when compiled LP64, trivial
utilities that won't see a difference, and places where 64-bit
libraries are lacking.)

--
James Carlson, Solaris Networking              <james.d.carlson at sun.com>