Joseph Kowalski wrote:

> I'm assuming the "default link" packages would be installed by default
> - our marketing would
> demand that.
>
> This implies to me, that all this proposal would buy you is the
> ability to go out of your way to
> construct a system where the various components could be selected by
> path without a fall through
> to /usr/bin.  In a distributed computing world, you couldn't depend
> upon this. How many people
> would use this?  Well, Kyle seems to be one.  There are undoubtedly
> others, but how many?
>
> I don't think the gain is worth the effort.  Your mileage may vary.

Like I wrote in another post. I think everyone in sun who actively uses
/pkg will be interested in this capability no matter how it's implemented.

I"ve always loved how flexible solaris is. Generally, while sometimes
it's alot of work to do what I want with it, there's never been a case
where solaris prevented me from doing it. It doesn't seem to em to be a
good idea to add this now.

 -Kyle