Stephen Hahn writes:
>   (In John's example, star poses no conflict

Actually, it does.  I don't necessarily agree with him, but Joerg has
good reason to want 'star' to be /usr/bin/tar.

> and the /opt/csw variants
>   are already using the PATH mechanism to resolve conflicts, so I'm not
>   sure what point is being made.  The project team has already conceded
>   that PATH manipulation is a crude method of selection [jmp-1], but at
>   this point has nothing better to offer.)

John's example falls apart with an excess of GNUish in /usr/bin.

With /usr/bin:/opt/csw/bin, he currently gets GNUish versions from
blastwave for the things that don't conflict.  In the future (with the
integration of this project), he no longer gets the blastwave
versions, but rather the Solaris-supplied ones.

Blastwave becomes invisible for GNU software, and (for him) works only
for the larger world of non-FSF-listed software.

With /opt/csw/bin:/usr/bin, he gets back his blastwave tools, but with
an unwanted side-effect: he ends up missing the Solaris version if
something unwanted is dragged in by dependency (which all too often is
the case with blastwave).

There's no setting that reasonably accomodates external software
repositories, other than overuse of 'alias' and private symlink farms.

I agree that's just the consequence of where we've already been
heading, but, at the same time, I don't think his complaint is
unwarranted.

--
James Carlson, Solaris Networking              <james.d.carlson at sun.com>