>Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2007 12:49:54 +0200
>From: Joerg.Schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de (Joerg Schilling)
>
>Don Cragun <don.cragun at sun.com> wrote:
>> 4. Technical Description
>>
>> This case adds a new command line option '-/' to cpio(1), pax(1), and
>> '/' function modifier to tar(1), to support the read-write extended
>> system attributes added in PSARC case 2007/315.

... ... ...

>Please note also: ARC cases are intended to be _ready_ for discussion.
>As your proposal does not include the archive format changes that are needed
>support the new options, you need to do some homework before you may present
>this case.

No archive format changes are being proposed by this case.  The archive
format introduced by the extended attributes case (PSARC/1999/209) was
integrated into the cpio and tar sources over six years ago
(07/29/2001).  The new headers introduced at that time are also used
for the extended system attributes for which this case adds support.

>Keep in mind that it is not acceptable to have archive enhancements that are
>not
>compatible with already existing archive format enhancements from other
>programs. See:
>
>http://cdrecord.berlios.de/old/private/man/star/star.4.html

There is no incompatibility here.  The web page above includes:
#define   LF_EXTATTR     'E'  /* Solaris Extended Attribute File */
which is the archive format used by this case.

If you are concerned that external to Sun applications don't have
access to the functions defined by PSARC/2007/315 (which defines them
to be consolidation private and are used to process extended system
attributes), I would suggest that you try to convince the submitter of
that case to make them public.  Those interfaces are not controlled by
the project team that submitted this case.

 - Don