So, I think I finally get it. Joerg's argument really has to do with
a -/ option in cpio/pax/tar as they exist in Solaris today would cause
them to be incompatible with star and its ability to be implemented as
tar/pax/cpio as a link of some sort. I couldn't figure out why it was a
big deal that different commands that do similar things have similar options
that do different things. While it is optimal to prevent this sort of thing,
it is not a hard requirement, unless you desire to use the same binary to
replace
the existing three distinct commands.

Joerg objection seems to be that since he would like to see star replace the
current
Solaris cpio/pax/tar commands with a link to star, then adding an conflicting
option
to cpio/pax/tar as proposed in the FastTrack is an impediment to that ever
happening.
Is there any proposal in front of any ARC (or approved by any ARC) to replace
these
Solaris commands with links to star?

Rick Matthews                           email: Rick.Matthews at sun.com
Sun Microsystems, Inc.                  phone:+1(651) 554-1518
1270 Eagan Industrial Road              phone(internal): 54418
Suite 160                               fax:  +1(651) 554-1540
Eagan, MN 55121-1231 USA                main: +1(651) 554-1500