Hi Jordan,

Personally, I'm fine with this, but wanted to make sure all bases were
covered. I too would prefer the hostid to be a zone configuration
parameter rather then a /etc file within the zone itself, leaving it to
those who configure the zone to set it, rather than the super-user
within the zone.

> My solution for NGZ hostid emulation is to add a 32-bit integral field to the
> zone structure zone_t that will contain the zone's hostid or HW_INVALID_HOSTID
> (-1) if the zone does not emulate a hostid.  The GZ's hostid will be the host
> machine's hostid, which will be stored in hw_serial.  NGZs will not emulate
> hostids by default.

Just to clarify: What value is returned by sysinfo(SI_HW_SERIAL) within
an NGZ if /bin/hostid is run in the case where emulation is disabled?

Thanks,
Brian

--
Brian Ruthven                                        Sun Microsystems UK
Solaris Revenue Product Engineering             Tel: +44 (0)1252 422 312