On 02/11/2007, Garrett D'Amore <gdamore at sun.com> wrote:
> As an aside, has gcc already moved to /usr/bin?
>
> One nagging thought about moving the compilers to /usr/bin is that it
> seems to give a level of precedence to the GNU compilers and tools that
> is higher than we offer for our *own* tools (Studio).
>
> I.e. if gdb and gcc are in /usr/bin, then why not dbx and cc?
>
> I realize that this may not be the place to fully explore the idea of
> bundling Studio, but I'd hate for other parties to miscontrue this
> action as meaning our own Studio tools were "2nd class" on Solaris systems.

One could argue that as long as Sun Studio isn't redistributable and
isn't open source (like was promised 2 years ago by Schwartz) it is a
second class citizen in the OpenSolaris community. I certainly feel
like one when I'm using it sometimes (i.e. tarballs don't always
include latest patches, etc.).

--
Shawn Walker, Software and Systems Analyst
http://binarycrusader.blogspot.com/

"We don't have enough parallel universes to allow all uses of all
junction types--in the absence of quantum computing the combinatorics
are not in our favor..." --Larry Wall