Joseph Kowalski wrote:
> Tell you what - *if* the concensus is that this library is Consolidation
> Private, meaning anybody in the ON consolidation can use it, but no one
> else, I'll turn my back on this.  Its simply not that important.

Sorry, no can do.  *Both* libcmds are effectively Public/Committed.

I believe that the following incompatible statements are all true:

     From the ast/ksh93/AT&T community:

        $BIN/<cmd>
                <cmd> is a set of 40 or so utilities that
                replace those found in $BIN with wrappers
                that call into libcmd.
        $BIN/ksh
                A simple wrapper that calls into several
                libs, including libcmd
        ksh93 builtin cmd
                This also calls into libcmd
        $BIN/../lib/
                The directory location relative to the commands
                is an interface used by other consumers.
        $BIN/../lib/{libshell, libast, libdll, libcmd}.so.x
                The name of the libraries are also public in that
                they are the target of dlopen() activity
        $BIN/../lib/libcmd.so.x:b_<...>
                The entry points in the above libcmd shared object.
                They is used by ksh, ast and a bunch of /usr/bin/cmd
                wrappers, and is intended to be used by others.

     From Solaris

        /lib/libcmd.so.x        is Public/Committed or Sun Private
                based on the existence of man pages from AT&T SVr4
                and/or the defacto usage in several Sun products
        /usr/lib/libcmd.so.x    is Public/Committed or Sun Private
                (this is a symlink to the above)
        /lib/libcmd.so.x:def_<...> is Public/Committed or Sun Private

If both communities are to be insulated from incompatible change, the
two library's contents need to be merged, since both libraries must
have the same name and live in the same filesystem location.

I believe that, while the references in the onepager (to lib* being
private) are technically correct, in practice, they are actually
Public/Committed, and treating them otherwise is the wrong thing to do.

   -John