Roland Mainz <roland.mainz at nrubsig.org> wrote:

> > >From a perspective of consensual software design, it is not a good idea to
> > use a generic name like "cmd", better would be "kshcmd".
>
> In theory... "yes", but the ksh93 libcmd has a long history (AFAIK at
> least twelve years) and therefore deserves the priviledge to keep it's
> name (otherwise we're screwing-up existing applications which is IMO not
> wise). Otherwise we could ask the question why "perl" or "cdrecord"
> can't be renamed, too... :-)

Well, the libcmd Sun is using has a 20 year history starting inside AT&T.

What happened here with the name clash could be called an accident
that results from making previously internal staic libs visible to externals
and from using too generic names.

J?rg

--
 EMail:joerg at schily.isdn.cs.tu-berlin.de (home) J?rg Schilling D-13353 Berlin