>On Tue, 16 Jun 2009 20:31:54 +0200 Casper.Dik at sun.com wrote:
>> I don't think so; it's in the manual page.
>
>> I'm the only person clever enough to realize that "mktemp -u" in OpenBSD
>> and Solaris is the exact same function as --dryrun in GNU coreutils?
>
>> -u, --dry-run
>>     do not create anything; merely print a name (unsafe)
>
>not the same as solars mktemp(1)
>subtle difference is if the creat/mkdir happens or not
>and if it does -u does an unlink/rmdir
>
>     -u              Operate in unsafe mode.  The  temp  file  is
>                     unlinked   before   mktemp  exits.  This  is
>                     slightly better than mktemp(3C),  but  still
>                     introduces  a  race  condition.  Use of this
>                     option is discouraged.

In GNU or ksh93?  It's merely semantics, I think,; you can't make sure
that a filename is unique other than creating it with O_EXCL so we
need to unlink and we're certain that the file was unique at some
point in time.  I think they have the same "root" but someone didn't
properly clone mktemp().

Casper