John Plocher writes:
> Garrett D'Amore wrote:
> > *provided* that we all understand that this doesn't set a precedent
> > where someone could use this case's binding to bring along the
> > dependency with a stricter binding requirement
>
> I believe that such a presumption is at the heart of the whole
> binding/dependency scheme.  If you have Patch, and depend on me,
> but I only have Minor, then QED - you can only *do* Minor.
>
> Duh! :-)

Another way to look at it is this: if we forced every project with one
or more dependencies to write its binding in terms of the
most-restrictive of the bindings of those dependencies (recursively,
of course), then we'd end up with a mess any time a project needed to
change its release binding -- we'd have to track down all of the
dependent projects and determine whether this dependency was the
limiting factor in its binding.

That's silly.  Instead, we write release bindings that apply to the
project at hand.  Dependencies are restrictions in addition to and
quite apart from that.

In other words, it's a boolean AND relationship (need this kind of
release AND these dependencies satisfied) and not an OR relationship.

--
James Carlson, Solaris Networking              <james.d.carlson at sun.com>