Bill Sommerfeld wrote:
> Secondly: I think ALLOW_EXTENSIONS is not necessary.  This is another
> case where an extension gives meaning to what was formerly a syntax
> error.
>
> There appears to be extensive implementation experience with this sort
> of extension on other platforms.  In the absence of evidence that there
> is real crontab-manipulating code out there which will be broken by this
> extension, I don't think we need the ALLOW_EXTENSIONS knob (except
> *possibly* as a hedge to enable backport to an older release, and even
> then I'm skeptical).

I agree with this and I particularly like how your rationale makes the
distinction between full crontab file vs single entry.

The only reason that I encouraged Chris to put in the knob was
"standards fear fud".   I think we need Don (or someone else intimate
with the standards that cover cron/crontab) to comment on this.   In
particular do the standards tests actually put "garbage" in the crontab
files and check that it fails ?

knobless is best.

--
Darren J Moffat