James Carlson wrote:
> Darren J Moffat writes:
>> %d           is replaced by the DNS domain name.
>
> Which one is "the" DNS domain name?  I don't think there's a canonical
> one on the system.  You can have multiple search domains in
> /etc/resolv.conf.
>
> If you're referring to /etc/defaultdomain, that's actually the
> NIS/NIS+ domain, not DNS.

I can't believe we made this rookie mistake, especially since I've made
exactly the same comments to many people over the years.  Doh! Doh! Doh!
in my best Homer Simpson voice :-)

We will drop %d.

>> %h           is replaced by the hostname, as returned by
>>              gethostname(3C)
>
> That's just the local host name.  Is the remote host name ever
> significant?

We have discussed wither or not the remote hostname (as found in
PAM_RHOST if it is available) is significant.  At this time we think not
but we could easily add it later as an expansion if needed.

>> %f           is replaced by the fully qualified host name without the
>>              trailing dot (so using %f is equivalent to specifying
>>              %h.%d)
>
> That doesn't make sense to me.  The "%h" value is from
> gethostname(3C), but how do you know that this value isn't itself a
> FQDN?  It's common practice at some sites to set the hostname either
> to a FQDN or to some domain name that's relative to the organization.

We will drop this expansion as well.

We have also decided to add one expansion:

        %H      is replaced by the "reverse" of the value returned
                by gethostname(3C) for example if gethostname returns
                'foo.example.com' then %H expands to: 'com.example.foo'
                in the degenerate case where the value from
                gethostname(3C) has no dots %H is the same as %h.

And update version of the spec is in the case dir.

I've also pushed the timer out to 4th Feb 2009 as requested by Gary.

--
Darren J Moffat