Garrett D'Amore wrote:
> Looking at *-config, I was bemoaning the fact that these FOSS packages
> feel the need to drop their detritus in my path.  There are far far
> better solutions that could have been done had some actual "engineering"
> taken place.  (E.g. a common registry, or dot files in ~, or
> something.)

*-config only exist for backwards compatibility in most packages now,
because some engineering was done several years ago, and most packages
have moved to providing *.pc data files used by the common pkg-config
command.   Compare the number of files in /usr/lib/pkgconfig to the
number of /usr/bin/*-config commands and learn just what you were
saved from.

        -Alan Coopersmith-           alan.coopersmith at sun.com