On Wed, 2008-03-12 at 10:00 -0800, Gary Winiger wrote:
> > I don't understand why a scanner would be classed as removable media.
>
>       Because you put removable stuff in it and remove the stuff when
>       done.  Solaris Object Reuse needs to be supported.

I'm still not understanding why you think this means "object reuse"
applies here; my understanding was that "object reuse" applied to
reusable read/write storage like disks & memory -- if user A frees a
page, and the system recycles it and gives it to user B, user B better
not find any of user A's data in the page.

the "removable stuff" in a typical scanner is not writable by the
scanner.  ("all in one" devices with both scanner and printer typically
have separate paper paths for print vs. scan).

There is nothing SOFTWARE can do about people who left something on the
scanner bed when they logged out and wandered off.

What's more, the software being proposed here does not need special
privileges to operate; if some sort of device allocation/object reuse
controls need to happen, they would need to happen in trusted privileged
code at device open time.

                                        - Bill