Alan Coopersmith wrote:
> Margot Miller wrote:
>
>>        - /usr/bin/star executable added
>>

> Joerg just raised an important point on opensolaris-discuss -
> star has a name-clash with Sun's SAM-QFS star command (which
> much to Joerg's consternation is based on GNU tar sources
> instead of his).
>
> From PSARC/2001/599 it looks like SAM/QFS ships its star
> command in /opt/SUNWsamfs/sbin/star so there's not a filename
> clash, but there could be a $PATH ordering issue for SAM/QFS
> admins.   (I've never used it, so I don't know if they most
> often use it from $PATH, scripts or other means.)
>
> (There's also an open case 2007/588 for the SAM/QFS 5.0 release
>  where this issue may also need to be addressed.)

The SAM-QFS star is provided as a disaster recovery tool to recover data
from archive tape.
As Joerg points out, the original tar format was inadequate for all
types and sizes of files.
The portability of archive format is very important to customers, as to
not lock them into
any given O/S, hardware nor tar. It is not used on a regular basis,
except when users would
do so on their own. The "sbin" directory is primarily used for SAM-QFS
administrators, developers
and testers.

While this clash will exist, in my opinion, the clash is not likely to
happen. I'm adding the SAM-QFS
PSARC team (as Margot did) to this thread.

Rick Matthews                           email: Rick.Matthews at sun.com
Sun Microsystems, Inc.                  phone:+1(651) 554-1518
1270 Eagan Industrial Road              phone(internal): 54418
Suite 160                               fax:  +1(651) 554-1540
Eagan, MN 55121-1231 USA                main: +1(651) 554-1500