I see. Also I saw libsoup's developer citation earlier, but
I thought that this issue has been already solved earlier
by Google or Apple.

I have two more sugesstions:

[1] Currently, Google is under heavy development of Google OS
which will be Linux-based OS for netbooks. I'm sure they are
going to implement libsoup as underlying layer for WebKit's
HTTPS communication. I based my idea having that in my mind.
Just ask them how they did such resolution.

[2] Let we extend libsoup with additional interfaces capable
to deal with this issue, or to change actual implementation
of interface we have conflict with.

Keep in mind that you are SUN guys which means we should deliver
better software than Linux world. Also, maybe I could help
since I'm basically Telecommunications Engineer but I do programming
too. I came from the country where we have faculties based
on Russian style educational system :).

Best,
Uros Nedic, MSc

> Date: Sat, 8 Aug 2009 18:32:31 +0800
> From: Alfred.Peng at Sun.COM
> Subject: Re: [desktop-discuss] WebKit 1.1.x [LSARC/2009/409 FastTrack timeout
> 08/04/2009]
> To: urosn at live.com
> CC: Darren.Moffat at Sun.COM; desktop-discuss at opensolaris.org;
> storycrafter at gmail.com; lsarc-ext at Sun.COM
>
> Hi Uros,
>
> Chrome browser does depend on WebKit. From its source code (788M source
> tarball, HUGE) and ChangeLog, I don't think Chrome uses libsoup for
> HTTPS support on Win and Mac. From the libsoup developer (link below),
> "there is not currently any way to let the application decide on a
> case-by-case basis whether or not to accept a certificate" with libsoup.
> I doubt whether the way Google/Apple engineers used to solve this HTTPS
> support problem can apply to our case.
>
> Thanks,
> -Alfred
>
> On 08/ 8/09 12:20 AM, Uros Nedic wrote:
>> As a pure observer of this communication I would like to
>> add one suggestion which, maybe, could be helpful.
>>
>> As far as I know Google's Chrome browser uses WebKit as
>> well as Apple's Safari on both platforms (Win and Mac).
>>
>> You could ask Google and Apple engineers how they solved
>> this problem.
>>
>> In Chrome when one certificate is not certified by some
>> 'well known' CA browser just ask user what he would like
>> to do. So it *is* possible to deal with this issue.
>>
>> I did not have time digging more deeply through Google's
>> mailing lists on code.google.com nor to see Apple's but
>> as far as I saw there they solved this issue.
>>
>> Hope it helps!
>>
>> Uros Nedic, MSc
>> Belgrade, Serbia
>>
>> P.S: Please do not disable HTTPS. I'd be big mistake, from
>> my perspective.

>>> Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2009 15:27:08 +0800
>>> From: Alfred.Peng at Sun.COM
>>> To: Darren.Moffat at Sun.COM
>>> CC: desktop-discuss at opensolaris.org; storycrafter at gmail.com;
>>> LSARC-ext at Sun.COM
>>> Subject: Re: [desktop-discuss] WebKit 1.1.x [LSARC/2009/409 FastTrack
>>> timeout 08/04/2009]
>>>
>>> Hi Darren/Mark,
>>>
>>> Before I started the arc case, I sent a query with regards to this HTTPS
>>> support issue to the WebKit community. Dan Winship, the libsoup
>>> developer, gave me some insight into the problem:
>>> http://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/webkit-dev/2009-June/008566.html.
>>>

>>> Roughly there are two points from the reply:
>>>
>>> - An x509 file containing the certificate can be passed to SoupSession
>>> for verification. In this way, only the "correctly-named non-expired
>>> certificates signed by one of those CAs" will be accepted, all others
>>> will be rejected. From the libsoup client howto:
>>> http://library.gnome.org/devel/libsoup/stable/libsoup-client-howto.html,
>>> I think it's possible to make WebKit accept user-specified certificate
>>> with some coding. On the other hand, we could point the
> [...]

Share your memories online with anyone you want.
http://www.microsoft.com/middleeast/windows/windowslive/products/photos-share.aspx?tab=1