On Sun, Sep 13, 2009 at 12:25 AM, Edward O'Callaghan
<victoredwardocallaghan at gmail.com> wrote:
> You guys,
>
> Who cares about GCC..
>
> We have Clang/LLVM now.. Which is *much* faster then GCC in any way
> that I can at least think of.
> Sure it needs some more work and C++ support is not quite there yet
> however its come a long way and its a great bit of software both in
> code quality and what it can do in contrast to GCC..
>
> Please *do* try it out !
>
> Cheers,
> Edward.

*** Sorry for being on lists, where this post might seem semi-OT ***
*** But I dont want to drop out without this (at least for now
concluding?) response ***

Hello Edward, my friend.
Very interesting.
But to me this looks more like future music, if you talk about the
compiler with which OpenSolaris gets built.

Look: gcc support *is* inside OS/Net for a long time already.
All the problematic port, ARC and integration stuff has been done for
it (mostly by Keith Wesolowski!!!) long ago in 2005 and finally spring
2006.

Saying, Solaris gets built with Studio, was not entirely right.
In fact all which Studio happens to be by default, is the primary
compiler, while gcc is then the shadow compiler. You can inverse this
by putting a single variable into the build environment:

__GNUC="";              export __GNUC

And furthermore: No shadow compilation is required at all (at your
local computer). You can also disable the Debug build, lint and other
options.

To disable shadow compilation:

CW_NO_SHADOW=1;         export CW_NO_SHADOW

In other words: Everything is functional (exclusively with a gcc that
has sfw consolidation? csl-sol210-3_4-20050802 diffs patched in!!). So
that is the difference:
While you suggested something completely cool and amazing (yet quite
experimental), I spoke about something that can be changed in an
ultra-short period (Obviously: plus more testing and debugging
afterwards, plus later performance enhancements [maybe]).

Plus: When Solaris 10 FCS, err GA came out, it was the first public
release with native amd64 support. And there gcc had been used to
compile the amd64 kernel, and it was not just something like a shadow
compiler with all object files being discarded. Instead they had been
linked and then shipped in a major Enterprise production release.

SUNWspro did not yet support amd64 at that time.

Octave: Your other points look reasonable, but you probably didnt
perform these tests with a patched GCC4.4,  did you? Certainly even
better gcc-results then  ...

And a few other questions which I have (as of how you have benchmarked
what) . But before we continue the compiler discussion, I perform a
few new tests myself. Then let us just compare and see.
Anyway: I think Sun should rather engage in gcc and make it FASTER.
And drop Studio. Campare it to having EOLed Xsun vs. actively
contributing to Xorg.

Just my opinion.

regards,
%martin