Bart Smaalders wrote:
> Tarl Neustaedter wrote:
>> The knowledge of which driver to use within Solaris
>> isn't needed until after this stage - so I don't think it belongs in
>> the boot command in the first place.
>
> This is correct... and storing such driver info somewhere where a
> special program needs to update it is just plain broken.
>
> Solaris should be passed the _external_ info about its boot drive -
> and then should dynamically figure out how to talk to that external
> device.  Any other approach will break when drivers change,
> paths to devices change, etc.

That's what the FWARC case does today, so if you are agreeing
with that, then I agree with you. Is that what you mean, Bart?

We don't want the OS method of the day to get encoded in the
firmware. It's likely that stuff will change. The iscsi stuff is
kind of a mess, as this case shows. The FWARC case is all standards
based and should provide whatever info any OS needs to continue
with an iscsi boot. If we missed something, we can certainly add it,
but I haven't seen that they did miss anything yet.

-David