venugopal iyer wrote:

> [...]
>
>> On 18/09/09 12:29 PM, Kais Belgaied wrote:
>>>
>>> +      rxringavailcnt
>>>
>>> +          A read-only property that specifies the number of rings
>>> available
>>> +        on the receive side.
>>>
>>> +      rxringcnt
>>>
>>> +          Specifies the number of receive rings side for the MAC
>>> client.
>>> +        A value of 0 means this MAC client should not be assigned
>>> any RX
>>> +        ring.  A non-0 value means reserve that many rings for this
>>> MAC
>>> +        client, if available, and fail if not. If this property is not
>>> +        specified the MAC client may get one RX ring, if available, or
>>> +        will be software based.
>>> +
>>> +      rxhwavailclnt
>>> +
>>> +          A read-only property that specifies the number of additional
>>> +        RX hardware-based MAC clients that can be created.
>>> +
>>> +      txringavailcnt
>>> +
>>> +          A read-only property that specifies the number of rings
>>> available
>>> +        on the transmit side.
>>> +
>>> +      txringcnt
>>> +
>>> +          Specifies the number of transmit rings for the MAC client.
>>> +        A value of 0 means this MAC client should not be assigned
>>> need any
>>> +        TX ring. A non-0 value means reserve that many rings for
>>> this MAC
>>> +        client, if available, and fail if not. If this property is not
>>> +        specified the MAC client may get one TX ring, if available, or
>>> +        will be software based.
>>> +
>>> +      txhwavailclnt
>>> +
>>> +          A read-only property that specifics the number of additional
>>> +        TX hardware-based MAC clients that can be created.
>>> +
>>> +
>>>

>> The only comment I have is the naming, specifically the "cnt" and
>> "clnt" on the end, seems ... I don't know... awkward/cumbersome?
>>
>> For example, "rxringavailclnt" and "rxringcnt" both are associated
>> with mac client but only one mentions "clnt" in its name.
>
> I think you mean rxhwavailclnt and rxringcnt, right?
> If so, then rxhwavailclnt is the number of clients that can be created
> and we
> wanted to have the client in the name, I can add cnt to rxhwavailclnt
> if that
> makes it any better.
>

>> Additionally, they are all a "count" of something, so "cnt" should be
>> present on all, right?
>
> yes, they are counts. As mentioned above if rxhwavailclntcnt and
> txhwavailclntcnt makes it better, I am fine with it.

And that is the point, these names look awful :-(

For example, if you look through any of statistics in kstat, you
generally don't see "cnt" or "count".

>> I'd like to suggest thinking of simpler names that do not include
>> redundant information such as "clnt" and "cnt."
>>
>> For example, if "rxringcnt" became "rxrings", is any meaning really
>> lost?
>
> We started off with rxrings, but wanted to make it explicit that it is
> the number or rx rings and not, say, as ring index.

If it was just "rxring", then perhaps I would agree that maybe it might
be something else...

But, for example, we have "Inbound Packets", not "Inbound Packet Count"
in "netstat -i" output.

To me, the label "rxrings" does not imply it could be about anything
else but rx rings. If it were to be about an index, then it would be
"rxringindex" or "rxringindexes" - the name becomes more specific.

Darren