Norm Jacobs wrote:
> Garrett D'Amore wrote:
>> +1.  I think this will be a big help.
>>
>> I've a few questions (which probably count as not this case) though:
>>
>> 1) Upgrades -- will upgrades (or pkg image-update) switch the
>> service, or leave the existing setting?
> Venky can correct me if I am wrong here, but I believe that the
> intention is to enable CUPS on fresh install and honor the prior print
> service selection on image-update.
>

>> 2) Are there any plans to enhance CUPS to distributed network printer
>> configuration via NIS?  Or is there a replacement for this service
>> already present?  (I guess this is what Bonjour is intended for?)
> There are no plans for NIS.  CUPS supports LDAP, DNS-SD, SLP, and CUPS
> Browse protocols for print queue advertisement/discovery.  Since CUPS
> is the "de facto" standard print service on *nix these days, it's
> interoperable with other systems.  Our name service support support
> isn't.

So one thing I'd like to see here, in order to eventually remove the LP
service altogether, is a set of tools or documents to help
administrators migrate from using NIS to other protocols.

>> 3) What about Trusted Printing?  What are the issues here?  I'd be
>> interested to understand why CUPS can't do this; feel free to email
>> me out of band with more information.
> There are a couple of patches to CUPS to support labeling under
> SELinux.  The approach taken by the patches is similar to the
> scheduler changes we made to lpsched for TX a while back.  They are
> being reworked to support Solaris as well.

Ah, cool!

>> 4) Forms support?  Does anyone still need or use this?  Seems like
>> possibly this is a feature that could just fall by the way side....
> There still appear to be occasional bugs filed against forms.  We
> don't know how heavily they might be used and whether or not the media
> support in CUPS would sufficiently address the needs of the forms
> users that might exist.  The page level printers that are more
> commonly used today are pretty much useless with the LP forms feature.

I always figured forms were mostly for shops with weird typesetting or
media requirements.  I'm inclined to just nuke it.  Perhaps its time to
announce a plan to EOF this in the future.  :-)

>> I guess what I'm getting at is that I'd like to see use reach the
>> point where we could just ditch the LP system altogether -- its a
>> maintenance headache, and its hard to use.
> For reasons too numerous to list here, I think that we all would.
> Because we have been reluctant to deprecate printing features (even
> fairly obscure ones), we haven't simply asked to drop LP all
> together.  Perhaps we should be announcing it's EOL again (Solaris 2.3
> was a long time ago (PSARC/1993/348)) and really dropping it this time.

Yes, updating EOF announcements again would be an excellent idea.  Its
time to find away to ditch this baggage.

    - Garrett