Kais Belgaied wrote:
> - Scope of this case:
>  Typically, you don't get a naked .ovf file. You get an OVF package,
> which is a tar ball  of the content (actual vmdk's of a disk image +
>    possible .iso if  needed for startup, optional signing cert ...)
> along with the .ovf that describes the metatdata for configuring
>    the VM. The package is what VWare's OVF tool exports and imports. It
> seems to me that stopping at importing and producing     only the .ovf
> falls short of delivering a complete answer and leaves the user on
> his/her own to go assemble the needed parts.

The open source virt-convert import does not yet support the TAR (ova)
format.

It does support an input of a directory that contains the OVF package
files or an input of the ovf file directly.  If specifying the ovf file
directly the ovf file will describe the other files required by
the OVF package.

> - Interoperability:
>  OVF defines 3 levels of conformance, depending on the attributes and
> optional extensions implemented.
>  What is the conformance level of  OVF files produced/exported by
> virt-convert?
>  On the import side, what level is understood by this implementation?

virt-convert does not yet support export of an OVF package.

virt-convert understands the basic ovf core metadata sections in use by
the industry at this time. It currently complies with import of
Conformance Level 1 ovf packages.

> - Evolution
>  Any tying to a particular version of the format?

No. If the parser can parse the ovf xml file without failure
then the import will be attempted.  If an unknown required section
is encountered during the parsing of the ovf xml file, then virt-convert
will fail.

Thanks,
Susan