Suhasini Peddada wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> Here are the AI's from today's inception review of PSARC 2009/471.
> Please let me know, in case any corrections/modifications are required:
>
> 1) Investigate whether JSON is better than XML for the manifest.

Some things to be aware of with JSON:

* doesn't support comments

* only supports Unicode; this means no Big5, etc. encoding (unless
there's a Unicode representation of that)

* is not a container format; that means that you cannot put mutiple JSON
serializations (documents) in a single file

Some things about the Python simplejson module (likely the best
implementation available for Python):

* significantly worse performance on SPARC vs. x86 for very large data
structures with a depth of more than three or four levels; this of
course can probably be fixed

* don't know if it supports beyond UTF-8

* not native to Python 2.4, although we ship the simplejson module for
it; python versions 2.6 and newer include it as part of the core under
the name 'json'

Cheers,
--
Shawn Walker