On 03/24/10 07:01 AM, Sebastien Roy wrote:
> Garrett,
>
> The only question I have on this case is how versioning works.  Are
> there provisions in the API to handle drivers compiled on an older
> version by either failing gracefully or by transparently handling
> multiple versions?  I can't tell from the materials if the
> audio_dev_set_version() function is meant to be relevant to this
> question as I didn't find the documentation for that function in this
> case nor in prior Boomer cases.
>
> -Seb

Right now the framework just ensures that the version number matches.
Conceivably in the future this could be used to detect the need for, and
enablement of, a compatibility layer perhaps like the GLDv2 used to do
for GLDv0 drivers.  More likely, it would be used in a manner like the
devops version to detect when the ops structure grows new fields.

Until we have a need for an incompatible interface change, I can't know
for sure exactly how versioning will work, but only speculate.  The
version number for now is just a way to enable this some basic insurance
against whatever the future may hold for now.

     - Garrett