On 05/13/10 09:17 AM, sowmini.varad...@oracle.com wrote:
On (05/13/10 08:52), Girish Moodalbail wrote:

  ipadm(1M) is going to be new ifconfig(1M) and should be used to manage
  addresses and IP interfaces, going forward. To manage addresses using
  ipadm(1M), they need to have clearly defined names (either user provided or
  daemon generated), if not one cannot perform
        * disable-addr
        * enable-addr
        * set-addrprop
        * reset-addrprop
        * show-addrprop
        * delete-addr

  With the choice made, the address added in the exclusive-ip zone cannot be
  managed at all. How do you propose to manage that address? Therefore I think
  it's not an implementation detail but is related to architecture.

  Further, the daemon is the one that manages namespace and generates unique
  names. The library libipadm is just a vehicle to retrieve the name. Since
  you will be creating addresses from within ipmgmtd, you can directly access
  those API's and create a name.

As I said, it's an implementation detail and I can change it so
that ipadm sends in an addrobj.

but the fact that addresses created by ifconfig (without an addrobj name)
cannot be managed by ipadm is itself a bug that needs to be revisited
separately.

That is not true.

# ifconfig ce1 plumb
# ifconfig ce1 192.168.17.1/24 up
# ipadm show-addr
ADDROBJ           TYPE     STATE        ADDR
lo0/v4            static   ok           127.0.0.1/8
ce1/_a            static   ok           192.168.17.1/24
lo0/v6            static   ok           ::1/128

ce1/_a an ddress object created by daemon maps to '192.168.17.1/24' created by ifconfig(1M). Since it has a name ipadm(1m) can manage that address.

~Girish