> On 6/18/10 9:52 PM, Cynthia McGuire wrote:
> >
> > Template Version: @(#)sac_nextcase 1.70 03/30/10
> SMI
> > This information is Copyright (c) 2010, Oracle
> and/or its affiliates. All rights reserved.
>
> Seem to be missing some content here ... did you
> perhaps forget to
> forward something?
>
> For what it's worth, there's already a UUID in use in
> Zones to identify
> Solaris instances.  Is this another UUID?

To save people the trouble, I tracked down a link to the
full text:
http://arc.opensolaris.org/caselog/PSARC/2010/226/fasttrack.txt

Upon reading it, I was quite curious what the benefit would be,
although I could imagine that esp. in a testing environment (and
even otherwise), being able to match up a crash dump with a
syslog message might be handy.

Even if a private interface, I suppose that this one in particular being
documented _might_ be useful should the need for forensics arise.

> In this case a single image UUID can be associated with multiple panics.

Any recommendations for disambiguating in that situation?  Timestamps?
Hypothetically, if there were a fixed location of sufficient size within
a snapshot that would be reserved for a virtualization tool to insert
its own per-restore UUID, the combination of the two would always
be unique.  But that implies a perhaps unusual level of cooperation...