On 07/22/10 11:39 AM, Darren J Moffat wrote:
On 22/07/2010 14:43, Mark Haywood wrote:
Okay, now I'm wondering why that is appropriate for this stop method ?
Why is this service so important that stopping it causes console
messages ?

Why is this service so much more important when it stops than any other service ?

You're assigning importance here. I believe that an administrator that is disabling the service when IPMP groups are configured, probably is making a mistake is should be warned. That said, your comments below have merit.

Will this message display on a normal (clean) shutdown of the whole system ?

No.

What is the console message ?

As mentioned in the case:

"Similarly, if the IPMP service is disabled while IPMP groups are
configured, the service stop method will display warning messages to the
console."

Why is the console the appropriate place for this ?

If all we are going to do is provide a message, then the console would be a better choice for getting immediate attention. But if we put the service into maintenance mode as you suggest, then the service log would be more appropriate.

My concern is that most other SMF services that are "important" for system operation don't write on the console when they are stopped so why should this one ? If you stop network/physical:default it doesn't write to the console.

True.

If this service is so important that when it is stopped the admin be notified is a console message really the correct way.

Maybe if there are IPMP groups configured (and running) the service shouldn't stop at all but instead go into maintenance mode if the admin attempts to stop it - that way existing monitoring systems that look for services in maintenance will alter the admin.

A good suggestion. However, that means that there is no way for an administrator to disable the service unless all IPMP groups have been destroyed. That does not seem unreasonable to me. So having the service transition into maintenance mode and writing a message to the service log might be the right way to go. But if that's the case, then I think ifconfig should likewise prevent the creation of IPMP groups if the service is not enabled. Again, this seems reasonable to me.

Getting back to your original question, 'why is a method script necessary why can't the exec method be in.mpathd itself?" The answer is still the same. Because there is more complex logic involved in the stop method and we'd like to be consistent across all methods.

Mark