I've read a pretty fair comparison of Linux 2.6 vs Solaris 10. I think I originally got it off LinuxToday.com but just did a search and found a link to it on IBM's site... It actually looks at everything from technical differences, legal/licensing, and ecosystems support. In the end it comes out in favor of Linux, but the comparison seems fairly accurate. I tend to favor Linux too anyway (GPL is open source with freedom, CDDL is fake open source) and so does most of this industry anymore.

ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/linux/pdfs/LinuxVersusSolarisAnalysis24Feb2005.pdf

Albertson, Brett wrote:

I have noticed that there are two kinds of companies in this regard.
1. Companies that analyze how cheaply they can procure the hardware and
software on which they run their IT infrastructure.
2. Companies that depend on having some relationship with a vendor who can both
provide support and someone to blame/share liability when something goes wrong.

Companies in category #1 usually have the following traits.  They are small or
medium in size, are relatively young, and are growing aggressively.  They have
never been sued by a client or customer.  They have never analyzed the TCO
(Total Cost of Ownership) for their IT.  These customers are fertile ground for
Linux.

Companies in category #2 have some of these traits.  They are medium or large
in size, and are more than a few years old.  They have even been sued or have
been threatened with lawsuits at one time or another.  They realize the value
of having a vendor behind you to back their products.  They usually factor in
IT staff salaries, training, and support costs into their TCO analyses.  These
customers tend to either be Solaris or AIX shops in regards to UNIX.

I don't think Linux will have much success in the next few years in companies
in category #2.  Solaris on Sparc, Solaris on x86, and possibly OpenSolaris
will be able to expand in category #2.

Brett Albertson           [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Strategic Technologies    voice: 919-379-8449     FAX: 919-379-8100
Solaris Core, Enterprise, E10K, F15K certified.