On Thu, 7 Jul 2005, Dragan Cvetkovic wrote:

On Thu, 7 Jul 2005, [UTF-8] J?rgen Keil wrote:

Apropos qemu, does it work for you on b16 or b17, x86
platform?

[snip]

when compiled with /opt/csw/gcc3/bin/gcc it starts, but does nothing. No
windows opens, and after some 10-15 minutes of frenetic CPU usage (e.g.
when booting Knoppix  3.9), it just stops using CPU and probably sleeps.

Is your qemu compiled / linked against libSDL? SDL is needed for gui output. Sounds as if knoppix 3.9 is done booting after 10-15 minutes and is waiting for keyboard / mouse input - but the gui output / gui window is missing?

I don't see libSDL in ldd output run on qemu, so it probably isn't. I just compiled it using default configuration (configure; gmake; gmake install). How do I enable libSDL?

Which version are you using? Which hardware architecture are you attempting to build under? I ran into a couple of issues with the configure script, and thought I would share the fixes:

Issue 1: {X%Y} doesn't seem to be supported by /bin/sh -- use /bin/bash

$ ./configure
./configure: bad substitution

grep -n "^source_path" configure | head -1
136: source_path=${0%configure}

Issue 2: CPU type is not derived correctly -- hard code/`uname -p`

-bash-3.00$ grep -n "^cpu" configure
29:cpu=`uname -m`

Under Solaris, `uname -m` returns the hardware architecture:

$ uname -m
sun4u

Where Linux returns the CPU type:

$ uname -m
i686

I look forward to hearing about future Solaris+Xen integration! :)

Hope this is helpful,
- Ryan

As for knoppix, am I not supposed boot prompt immediatelly (as per Ben's log)?

Bye, Dragan

--
Dragan Cvetkovic,

To be or not to be is true. G. Boole    No it isn't.  L. E. J. Brouwer