> Yes, in Solaris, Sun has stuck with good old Bourne

good?

> Shell for the default root shell.  For users, the
> shell is up to the administrator.  The bells and
> whistles you are talking about in Linux come from
> them using BASH (Bourne Again Shell) by default.

I know this.

> of Solaris 10 (or maybe 9) BASH comes loaded by
> default, so it could become the default shell in
> OpenSolaris if that is what the general consensus is.
> I generally leave root with /bin/sh for stability

That's fine. But why does /bin/sh not just implement
command line editing? It's not that cursor key support
is rocket science or anything.

Would it come to a big shock to old time users if their cursor
keys suddenly worked?  Or are there any other reasons
nobody ever added it to the shell over the years?
I suppose it's because all the Sun programms use
different shells or maybe they are perfect people who never
typo anything. But why do they not offer this goodness
to users by default?

Also why are the cursor keys not enabled in ksh by
default? set -o emacs works, but shouldn't be necessary.

And I was pretty shocked of cursor keys not working
reliably in vi after I installed OpenSolaris first. Maybe I'm spoiled, but I
expected higher standards in such fundamental details.

> y reasons, but as a user, I make my shell /bin/bash.

I suspect everybody does so why not just make this
the default? And it still leaves open editing
after su.

~G.