> >Hey,
> >> This is exactly what i had in mind -- i had promised Jim Grisanzio
> >> that i would write up some of my thoughts on this and ran out of time
> >> yesterday evening -- and the issue of common dependencies with GNOME
> >> -- and actually with GNU/OpenSolaris --  is a major part of it. i
> >> would really like to share these and have just one set of dependencies
> >> for both KDE and GNOME. so i was hoping we could work together and
> >> decide on a common directory where these will live.
> >
> >So the obvious questions that come to mind that we probably need to
> >discuss are -
> >
> >       o Why aren't these tools already available on Solaris?
>
> The GNU binutils are already in Solaris.  But since Sun's ld generates
> more efficient executables and because Sun's as is more uptodate wrt
> certain instructions on SPARC, they're gas/gld.

[ opinion ]
I would use /usr/ccs/bin/as and /usr/ccs/bin/ld as parameters to the
configure script of just about everything long before I'd use the GNU
versions.  The GNU versions are not quite there yet but I am sure that
over time we will see a melded development toolset that addresses both
Linux and UNIX with equal brilliance.  Over time of course.
[ /opinion ]

Dennis