[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> The GNU binutils are already in Solaris.  But since Sun's ld generates
> more efficient executables and because Sun's as is more uptodate wrt
> certain instructions on SPARC, they're gas/gld.

Unfortunately, the picture on x86 (and amd64 in particular) is different
wrt. as/gas: while GCC can (and long did) support the use of
/usr/ccs/bin/as on x86, the Sun as lacks (or lacked) a couple of features
necessary for amd64 support: I noticed a couple of them when trying to get
the csl-sol210-branch of GCC to work with Sun as:

Some of the easier changes are in GCC mainline right now (and I'll commit
to the 4.0 branch for 4.0.2 once I get to it), but other issues probably
need patches to Sun as since they seem to be hard to work around in GCC.

I think I raised a couple of the issues found during S10 Platinum Beta, but
never got a reaction.

        Rainer