Joerg Schilling wrote:
Hi,

I just found an annoying cc bug:

If I call cc -xarch=amd64 -fast ... I get a 32 bit binary
If I call cc -fast -xarch=amd64 ... I get a 64 bit binary

I would expect that the fact that I did specify a -xarch option
is suddificent.

Jörg

Unfortunately, it's a feature.
"-fast" is a macro option that expands into several options,
and the option processing rule (I think this is documented somewhere)
says that whatever shows up later wins.
So what happens is,
-fast includes -xtarget=native which expands to -xarch=sse2 (32bit)
on Opteron, and it naturally overrides -xarch=amd64...
Yes, we know this may not be what some users expect,
and we're trying to come up with a simpler way.

Seongbae