On 7/14/05, Shawn Walker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 7/14/05, Joerg Schilling <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > The main features of GNU tar is compliance problems.
> > I recommend to avoid GNU tar whereever possible.
> >
> > You cannot replace /usr/bin/tar with a program that does not implement
> > the features os /usr/bin/tar without creating hard to track down problems.
>
> Could "star", be used as a replacement for Solaris tar program without
> causing *any* incompatibilities? Since you so graciously released it
> under the CDDL, it seems like it would be idea as a replacement. I
> certainly find it much faster then GNU tar, and faster than Solaris
> tar.

This is another creation that I use ALL the time and what is really
important about star is that you can trust it.  If you use a command
line like :

star -c -p -acl -sparse -Hexustar -fifo -fs=128x1m -fifostats -time
file=dest.tar -C source_dir .

Then you can trust that you just got everything. When you extract you
get everything.  Perfectly.  I LOVE it !  :-)

Oh .. and its really fast.

Dennis