On 7/16/05, Tao Chen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On 7/16/05, Tao Chen < [EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I am installing nv-b18-x86, the first CD went fine, however after rebooted from the harddisk into CDE install interface for the second CD, system became very slow.
Mouse will move for couple seconds then stop for couples seconds then move.
It took almost 10 minutes from start reading CD2 to the point where it shows how much data is on CD2 and what is going to be installed, during which time the interactive window was a blank white.

While I am typing this, the installing seems to be moving at a reasonable but rather slow speed, 50% of CD2 in the last 14 minutes,
Mouse movement problem still exists.

HW configuration:
Dell SC 420, 3GHz x64 CPU, 1GB mem, onboard Intel graphic, USB keyboard, USB wireless mouse, 40x IDE CDROM, two SATA disks.

System was running S10 GA perfectly on another SATA disk.

Again, the first install CD went just fine (no mouse issue, finished in 30 minutes, including the time I filled up configurations) , problems happened after booted from hard disk. The 2nd CD is the same new CD-RW media as the 1st CD.

It feels like the insterrupts from USB mouse is not served fast enough ( low priority as another thread suggested ?).
I can comment on the overall system performance as I am doing anything else during the install.

At this speed, it will take another hour to finish the install. I'll see if the problem exists afterwards.

Tao

Follow up:

I moved on to CD3, took 3+ minutes to scan the CD and showed "Size: 532.32MB".
Although system is not doing anything at this point (haven't hit Install Now), mouse _and_ keyboard still respond badly.

Follow up  2:

CD3 finished earlier  because  of many "I/O error".
Moved on to CD4, it read the CD for several minutes, then just hung, leaving a white blank window on the screen. Not a system hang, mouse is still movable, but no CDROM or disk activity anymore for the last 15 minutes.

I gave up for now.

Tao