> I respectfully disagree. While it does make sense to
> have fewer
> --options on regular usage command lines for
> convenience/speed, I think
> the --options are fundamentally important for
> relatively new users to
> the environment and I certainly don't think you
> should be alienating
> them.

It's a matter of pedagogy, i.e. methodological learning. New users should learn
to 'help themselves' by understanding how the UNIX online documentation system
works. Users should learn to read the `man` pages documentation; they have to
do that anyway for effective use of commands, even with the long options. In
which case, they should learn it correctly from the start.

If you feel alienated by short options, then UNIX is not for you; and there are
other alternatives out there, namely Linux and Windows.