Keith M Wesolowski wrote:

The objective is not so much to reduce the number of posts to -discuss
as to ensure that useful and important messages can be found easily.
This list has so little signal that it's easier at least in the short
term to move that signal elsewhere than to reduce the noise to a
manageable level.

I'd encourage people thinking of posting to this list to look at
http://opensolaris.org/os/discussions/ and see if a more targeted list
would be appropriate.  In particular, a few of the more common ones:

- Anything that starts or ends with 'Help!  I can't...' belongs on
opensolaris-help.

- Questions or suggestions about the compilers and source code
management belong on tools-discuss.

- The discussions about GNOME and KDE belong on desktop-discuss.

- Bugs and RFEs should be reported at http://bugs.opensolaris.org.

- Flames, personal attacks, advocacy, arguments without facts or data,
and juvenile sniping belong on alt.flame or some other non-OpenSolaris
venue, though I'm hopeful we'll create an appropriate list soon for
this kind of garbage.  Some suggestions are opensolaris-swill,
opensolaris-offtopic, and opensolaris-bitbucket.  Other suggestions
would be welcome, but they'd only be on topic for that list so please
do not make them here.

Do not hold to the fallacious belief that everyone is on -discuss and
therefore it's the place to post to be sure your message is read.
Many people will give up on -discuss or even unsubscribe from it if
the current noise level continues.  But the experts who are managing
and supporting the individual communities will be reading the
lower-traffic focused lists, and you're actually much more likely to
get a useful response that way.

+1 to Keith's comments. The project is big, and we have a lot of lists. Now we really need to start distributing the conversation more assertively so more people can contribute but actually have their voices heard. Many people *have* given up on discuss and unsubscribed because of the recent flames. This is unfortunate but certainly expected. These people are more interested in technical conversations, so I expect them to start migrating to the more focused lists.