Theo Schlossnagle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >>    Yeah, that exactly what I mean.  Debian will bring a huge set of
> >>    quality software greatly integrated to OpenSolaris.
> >>

> > Why do you expect that packages that only have been tested on Linux
> > will even compile on Solaris?
>
> Because the vast majority of those packages have been run on a large
> variety of OSes including Solaris.  I'm not advocating an particular
> packaging system (aside from Sun's), but the software products
> themselves will have a very high "out-of-the-box" build success rate.

My observation is that aprox. 50% of all sources need manual action
in order to make them compile on OpenSolaris while more than 70%
compile on Linux whithout a change.

So there is aprox. 1/4th of all software that needs special treatment
to make it compile on Solaris.

Jörg

       [EMAIL PROTECTED]                (uni)
       [EMAIL PROTECTED]        (work) Blog: http://schily.blogspot.com/